Pages

Friday, March 9, 2012

Fibre friday

So I figured I'd share this with you all, some yarn I spun up for fun, while I was avoiding my homework!

This silk was sitting on my bobbin for a good while.  And I didn't really want to keep going on it, so I chain plied it off, and I ended up with about 100 yards of lace weight.. O.o  what was I thinking spinning that thin!?
lace weight silk - chain plied

lace weight silk - chain plied



This is the same silk, spun very differently.  I tried to use the autowrap technique in Spin Art, by Jacey Boggs.  It was really hard to let the thread wrap without help!  I've sent this off to my Aunt, who's been wanting my handspun for a long time now!  She doesn't know it's coming, it's a surprise :D

thin/thick thread wrapped silk

thin/thick thread wrapped silk


And I've also prepped all this BFL


lots and lots of BFL

There are two different lock structures there, So I've got them separated, because they may as well be in different yarns, Or I could blend them on my fancy new drum carder, but they are for homework, and BFL is hard to hand card. I'm just flicking them open and spinning from the lock.

Here's a close up of the lock structure

BFL locks - same animal, different lock structure

Much more crimp in the lock on the left.  This will translate into a very springy yarn.  I wasn't able to sort the fleece out by sections, it was a little mussed up when I got it, but I'd say the one on the left is from either the legs, haunch or neck, while the one on the right is probably a side or shoulder section....

Anyway, this is getting to be a huge post, so I'll leave it there for now.   More later :D

~Kara





4 comments:

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love hearing from you!